How are you feeling today? I mean, how are you really feeling?
Are you feeling fatigued every day? Maybe you have anxiety and depression making your fatigue even worse. Or, maybe you have pain in your muscles and joints, along with swelling and stiffness? Add gastrointestinal issues to this mix and you may be feeling pretty miserable.
These issues are all symptoms of chronic inflammation, which can make it difficult to get through your day.
So, what can you do? How can you feel better?
There is an answer! doTERRA has one of the best anti-inflammatory essential oils, named Frankincense.
Frankincense is known as “The King of Oils” and has some crazy health benefits! It has been known to support healthy cellular, immune, digestive and nervous system function when used internally.
WHAT EXACTLY IS FRANKINCENSE? Frankincense has an amazing history and the healing power of essential oils has been known and used since ancient times. It’s use is shown in Egyptian hieroglyphics from more than 5,000 years ago and is considered to be among the first medicines that people used. It was one of the gifts of the Magi – in addition to myrrh and gold they offered frankincense to the newly born baby Jesus.
In Egyptian tradition Frankincense was considered to be a cure-all and was used for most ailments. Many cultures burn Frankincense in religious ceremonies and use Frankincense resin for everything from perfume to salves for soothing skin. This knowledge from centuries ago contributes to the modern uses of Frankincense today.
100% pure, therapeutic grade frankincense can be inhaled, applied topically, and taken internally. The Israelites in biblical times used it all three ways.
The oil of frankincense is tapped from the resin of hardy Boswellia trees by slashing the bark, called striping, allowing the resin to bleed out of the tree and harden. There are several species of frankincense trees, each producing a different type of resin according to the type of soil and climate.
Frankincense contains high levels of Monoterpenes. This is important because they offer a variety of healing properties, but the most importantly is the ability of Monoterpenes to reprogram information (that is not written correctly) in the cellular memory (DNA). With improper coding in cellular memory, cells malfunction and diseases result, including lethal ones like cancer.
Frankincense also contains Sesquiterpenes. What is super important here is that these molecules deliver oxygen molecules to cells. They can also de-program or erase miswritten codes in the cellular memory and are thought to be especially effective in fighting cancer. The problem with a cancer cell is that it contains misinformation, and Sesquiterpenes can delete that misinformation. Plus the oxygen carried by these molecules creates an environment where cancer cells can’t reproduce. WOW! Now, that is something that has my attention!
WHEW! That’s a lot of information!
Now it’s time to talk about how this amazing oil can help you!
Here are 5 other ways that Frankincense essential oil can help:
- Inflammation and Pain – Frankincense oil is known to help improve circulation and to reduce joint and muscle pain. Conditions like arthritis, digestive disorders, and asthma can be improved through massaging the oil on the painful area and diffusing it in your home. For example, I have arthritis in my knees so I use frankincense at night before going to sleep.
It really makes a difference for me. I add it to a carrier oil, such as fractionated coconut oil from doTERRA and just massage it in. I also use a diffuser in the bedroom at night because breathing it in helps with my mental fatigue and respiratory issues. Check out our Recipe page, Guen just added a great DIY recipe for Arthritis Cream.
- Boosts Immune System — Studies have shown that frankincense has immune boosting properties. It helps to destroy bacteria and viruses. It’s also good for your skin health, and will help with healing and reducing the appearance of scars and fine lines. A few weeks ago, a friend’s dog ran across my arm and tore the skin. After it healed I used Frankincense oil on it twice daily. I thought I would have a sizeable scar, but now I can’t even see it. Yet again, Frankincense has made a believer out of me!
- IBS and Digestive Upset — Frankincense can help to relieve GI discomfort such as gas, bloating, constipation, and cramps. Also, it helps to speed up the digestion of your food. I just add 1 – 2 drops of oil to an 8oz glass of water and drink it down. Also, sometimes I rub in a few drops on my abdominal area. (Make sure it is pure therapeutic-grade oil before taking it internally. Do not take store bought oils internally as they may have been diluted with chemicals).
- Decrease Stress — Frankincense oil has been shown to reduce heart rate and blood pressure. It may also reduce your anxiety and depression without the side effects of many antidepressant medications that are on the market today. When inhaled or diffused, Frankincense promotes feelings of peace, relaxation, satisfaction, and overall wellness.
Frankincense has also been shown to improve memory and to help heal the brain from certain disorders. Guen recently suffered a mini stroke. Her doctor’s first recommendation was to use 1-2 drops of Frankincense oil on the roof of her mouth 5 times daily to help heal her brain. She says it has already made a positive improvement for her!
- Elevates Mood – What? Mood? Just the word brings up lots of thoughts and feelings! Well, frankincense has an uplifting emotional impact. I put a drop in the palm of my hand, rub my hands together then cup my hands over my mouth and nose and inhale. When I do this first thing in the morning there is a noticeable difference in my mood and focus for the day. Research shows that when our mood is improved it helps keep us in a healthy state and disease free.
Can you believe it? There is even more…
- Frankincense oil can be used as a Cold or Flu Remedy. The anti-inflammatory properties in frankincense oil helps relieve coughing and offers benefits to your respiratory system.
- Frankincense oil can be used as an Antiseptic. Because of its antimicrobial affects you can use frankincense on your skin to reduce the possibility of infection.
- Frankincense can be used for Hormone Balance. Frankincense may help to reduce the symptoms associated with menstrual pain by balancing hormone levels. It may also help reduce cramps, constipation, headaches, fatigue and may help regulate production of estrogen.
* DIRECTIONS FOR USE — Diffusion: Use three to four drops in the diffuser of your choice. Internal use: Dilute one drop per 4 fl. oz. of liquid. Topical use: Apply one to two drops to desired area. Dilute with a carrier oil to minimize any skin sensitivity (always dilute for children). See additional precautions below.
PRECAUTION — Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears, and sensitive areas.
What’s YOUR favorite way to use Frankincense oil?
Let us know in the comments! We love hearing from you!
The information on this website has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration or any other medical body. We do not aim to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. Information is shared for educational purposes only. You must consult your doctor before acting on any content on this website, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition.