Christmas is a time that we subconsciously have so many expectations, both of ourselves and of others. Even if you don’t celebrate certain holidays but you get some time off for work or school, it’s still wonderful!
Of course, for many, holidays can bring lots of stress, but my advice is to try to roll with the punches. Don’t aim for perfection from yourself or others – especially around the holidays – and you will find the season going much more smoothly for you. Well, we all know that is “easier said, than done.”
When you try to juggle too many seasonal responsibilities without taking time to relax and unwind, you can be laying the groundwork for serious problems that can last long into the future.
So, Thanksgiving is done, and we lived through Black Friday.
Christmas is zooming in. A month from now it will all be over with. Last year on December 26th you made the promise to yourself that this year will be different! I will be prepared!
If you are anything like me, you make this super ridiculous promise to yourself that by December 24th you will have all the gifts bought, wrapped, placed beautifully under the perfect tree, with your house professionally decorated, cakes and pies made, the perfect food ready for the perfect day…..on and on and on. Oh — and, of course you wont even break a sweat.
Yep, Christmas is a magical time of year, but each one of us will handle the season differently. When you find yourself wondering about the effects of holiday stress, don’t overlook just how serious the problems can be. I know that when I try to juggle too many seasonal responsibilities without taking time to relax and unwind, I am laying the groundwork for serious problems that can last long into the future.
So many reasons…
There are so many reasons that many people experience an increase in stress during the holiday season, just a few are:
- Financial stress
- Dealing with crowds
- Unresolved family issues
- Increased social obligations
- Preparing for company
Understanding the effects of Holiday Stress
No matter what time of year your stress happens, both the emotional and physical effects are the same. Your body reacts the same to holiday stress and it does to any other stress associated with change, multitasking, personal problems, or any other stressor you can think of.
Stress can lead to so many negative consequences, including:
- Trouble Sleeping
- Back pain
- Joint and muscle pain
Other more serious negatives are health problems such as:
- Stomach ulcers
- Weight gain
- Elevated blood pressure
I really hate to admit it but previously I have personally had these issues at various times because I let stress affect me. If only I knew then what I know now.
ME? Stressed? Oh no! There are so many things happening that are unexpected and frustrating. First you find out that Aunt Eunice is coming for the day (she won’t stop hugging you), then a friend shows up to your already crowded house with her group of rowdy children. THEN you wake up sick and achy from being run down for weeks on end. The possible scenarios are endless.
HELP ME dōTERRA!
This year at our house we are doing things a bit differently. We plan to keep our regular oil regimen and add to it as needed. Here are a few ideas that we do regularly that may help you too…
First, we will start the night before, with one of our favorite dōTERRA blends for sleeping. Serenity is referred to as a “Restful Blend,” calming your senses for a good night’s sleep. Serenity is felt immediately and will transport you to a state of bliss and calm, easing you into sleep. This also is a great oil to help calm restless children before bedtime and you might consider putting a few drops into an Epsom salts bath for them, and then later for yourself to help you start relaxing so you will get a good night’s sleep.
Christmas eve comes with lots of surprises too so awhile back we added a high-quality Multivitamin and Vitamin C to our daily routine. In addition to this we add dōTERRA’s On Guard Gel Caps daily to boost our immune systems.
Christmas day, here we go! Starting your day with an 8-oz. glass of water with just a drop or two of Lemon Essential Oil. We do this daily, first thing in the morning before breakfast. The Lemon oil has a high vitamin content and is great for your circulation and the body’s immune system. It really starts the day out right!
Dinner time was always a challenging time (to put it mildly) around our holiday table, be it Thanksgiving or Christmas. My brother and I would pride ourselves in getting everyone talking about all the no-no’s; various relatives, school teachers, places we went that were off limits. Of course, then we would hit up Politics and Religion and it was game on! I can only imagine the difference it would have made for my sometimes-tolerant mom and dad if they could have used quality essential oils like dōTERRA with all of this going on. As an adult, we fear our kids will do the same and often they do!
- Holiday Joy blend is a way to fill your home with a warm, sweet, and inviting aroma. Holiday Joy creates a welcoming environment and can be diffused to purify the air and uplift your spirit. It combines Wild Orange, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, and Clove oils with the fresh scent of Siberian and Douglas Fir. Talk about a holiday powerhouse! Diffusing Holiday Joy throughout your home will uplift you as it fills the room with the joyful scent of Christmas.
- As well as being diffused throughout our house, when we apply Holiday Joy to our clothing and scarves it helps us to stay energized while shopping. We also create a spritzer to mist holiday trees, garland, and wreaths. And we like to use one to two drops to a homemade potpourri for the holiday season.
- Holiday Peace blend has the calming aromas of three firs – Siberian, Douglas, and Himalayan and is complimented by Grapefruit, Frankincense, and Vetiver. The soothing aroma of these oils helps us to find the calm inside ourselves during the busy holiday season and will also cleanse and freshen the air.
- Diffuse Holiday Peace or try applying it to your pulse points while your family is visiting. They will wonder why you are so calm and grounded during your family gatherings! For us, we also create a spritzer with a few drops to mist our home and décor for a grounding, woodsy scent. The blend of Holiday Peace helps to bring a tranquil feeling to our home during the holidays.
ADDING HUMOR TO THE HOLIDAYS
So, your turkey fell on the floor and the dog ran off with it. Maybe your perfect recipe for fruitcake exploded in the oven. And then, 3 people received the same shirt as a gift. Uncle Bob’s teeth may have fallen into his dressing and the kids won’t stop running in circles. In hindsight, these are all pretty hilarious situations (even though it may not seem so at the time). At the very least you will have lots to talk about around the table for years to come!
Sharing laughter helps us all to realize that the most important part of any holiday is the gift of being together. Focus on the positives, be thankful that you have this family or these friends to be able to spend time with. Every day is a treasure.
Trying to create the perfect holiday is almost impossible. Things will happen. And, like everyone else, we too have had loss and are missing someone. Instead of wishing for how things used to be, what we do is to continue to try to create new memories and to laugh along the way.
When counting down to any holiday, find one thing a day to laugh about, talk with others about your sweet memories, and start new traditions. One awesome tradition that will help you and everyone in your home will be to use dōTERRA Essential Oils to help you feel physically well and emotionally healthy.
Additional doTERRA Essential Oils to help you through the Holidays
Here are a few of our favorite oils that you may have on hand, and their benefits that may help you out during the season:
- Cardamom – helps with self-control if having feelings of anger.
- Clove – helps to add feelings of empowerment and protection.
- Frankincense – adds to feelings of wisdom and discernment.
- Lavender — for help with open and relaxed communication.
- Peppermint — for helping with clarity and feeling optimistic.
- Rose – will help you to feel loved, accepted, and healed.
- Tangerine – enhances your feelings of cheer, fun, and joyfulness.
- Wild Orange – helps with feelings of generosity and abundance.
- Ylang Ylang – helps us to feel accepting and emotionally filled.
If you don’t have any of these on hand, let us know, it is never too early to start getting ready for next year!
We recognize that everyone is different in how, if, and when we celebrate holidays. Keep in mind that dōTERRA can make such a difference in how your day, your evening, and your sleeping goes.
When the day is wrapping up, most importantly please stay safe on the roads and be thankful for your time with your family and friends. I used to take holidays for granted when we spent time together. Today I am learning to live in each precious moment. I hope you do too.
Do you get stressed out around the holidays?
What YOU do to lower stress levels. Let us know in the comments!
We love a good funny story, let us know yours!
WE LOVE HEARING FROM YOU!
Donna and Guen